Courses: “Develop Your Writing Skills”, “Fantastic Fiction” and “Writing For Business”
Led by Jo Collie, Director of IMAGINANTICS, the courses and classes are relaxed and informal and everyone 16 years and older is welcome. Jo is a published author, award-winning copy and content writer, features writer, playwright, broadcast scriptwriter and university lecturer in Creative Writing covering several disciplines.
Classes are held in and around York, Harrogate and Leeds. Check for dates and on our blog.
DO YOU HAVE A STORY TO TELL?
Have you always dreamed of seeing your name in print but don’t know where to start?
Get your story onto the page! Join us on Monday evenings FROM 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 for a fun, relaxed writing course starting in Easingwold.
The “Develop Your Writing Skills” classes are led by Jo Collie and are suitable for all levels.
You’ll learn how to:
* find and develop better ideas
* work with characters
* write dialogue
* create atmospheric settings
* how to use perspective
* develop a solid story structure in both fiction and life writing.
Jo is a published author, features writer, broadcaster, speaker and university lecturer in Creative Writing. She has won awards for her copywriting and scriptwriting for radio and television and is Director of IMAGINANTICS, a Creative Consultancy and writing service for businesses based in York.
WHERE: The Olive Branch, Market Square, Easingwold
WHEN: Monday evenings from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
PRICE: £22 per class
REQUIREMENTS: A4 notebook, pens and your imagination! Tea and coffee available.
OTHER COURSES COMING UP SOON:
“WHY YOUR BUSINESS SHOULD BE PUBLISHING, AND HOW TO DO IT”
This six-week course is aimed at business owners who want to start getting seen and read online from the ground up. It covers such topics as:
- Why your business should be publishing
- The difference between direct response advertising and branding
- Blogging basics
- How to have bold, playful and inventive ideas to convey complex material
- Lifting your language to engage readers
- How to design an online marketing strategy
“AN INTRODUCTION TO CREATIVE WRITING”
This five-week course is suitable for all levels and designed to cover an introduction to:
- Finding ideas and how to develop them
- Establishing and ‘fleshing out’ believable characters
- Creating setting and atmosphere
- Navigating and pinning down plot and structure
- The key to writing biography and autobiography
“HOW TO WRITE FABULOUS FICTION”
If you’ve ever started writing a story and struggled to finish it, then this course is for you. It runs for four weeks and covers:
- Choosing Perspective: ‘who’ and ‘how far’
- Balancing Showing and Telling
- Establishing Structure
Here’s what others are saying …
“Triggering ideas is much improved … my writing is no longer ‘rushed’.” (G. Corner)
“The course has given me confidence, focus and inspiration from the other participants!” (H. Archer)
“Learned a lot of new techniques – eager to learn more!” (K. Ume)
“Definitely helped me in finding new ideas …” (R. Emin)
“I am an experienced non-fiction writer, but have enjoyed learning about freewriting, dialogue pacing and so on. I’ve gained in confidence – many thanks!” (M. Morrison)
“I have learned new things and been reminded of things I had forgotten.” (S. Thomas)